Source : Wikipedia
District (1) Habiganj
Habiganj (হবিগঞ্জ Hobigônj) is a district in the north-eastern part of Bangladesh. It is under Sylhet Division.
Habiganj is the historical place where the Mukti Bahini started their first guerrilla movement against aggressor Pakistani Army. It is also the place full of memory of Syed Nasir Uddin(R), an associate of Hazrath Shah Jalal (R) the great saint of Bengal. Historically, Habibganj was a bazaar or ganj beside the river Khowai established by Syed Habib Ullah, the son of Syed Hadaiet Ullah. With the passage of time, Habibganj turned into Habiganj. During the British Raj, Habiganj was established as a Thana (police precinct) in 1790, under Dhaka district (1779–1793). Until 1896, Habiganj's administrative center was in Court Andar, Laskarpur. On 12 September 1874 it came under Sylhet district (part of Assam). Habiganj was declared as subdivision in 1867. On 7 April 1893, according to the Notification no. 273 of Assam Provincial Government, Habiganj Thana (Administrative unit) was established. Habiganj was rejoined with East-Bengal (now Bangladesh) in 1911. Then the Office of the Circle Officer (Development) was established in 1960. Finally on 1 March 1984 Habiganj was established as a District
Habiganj District comprises eight Upazilas (sub-districts) and one thana (Police station). They are:
Ajmiriganj Baniachang Bahubal Chunarughat
Habiganj Sadar Lakhai Madhabpur Nabiganj
Shaistagonj Upazila... On the way
and Sayestaganj Thana under Habiganj Sadar Upazila.
Habiganj is located at . Its area is 2,636.58 km² and bounded by Sunamganj District to the north, Tripura of India and Maulvibazar District to the east, Balaganj Upazila of Sylhet to the north-east, Brahmanbaria and Kishoreganj districts to the west. This part of Bangladesh is characterized by alluvial plains which are dissected by various connecting rivers as well as streams, lakes; and it is vulnerable to both flood and drought. The land is devoted mainly to agriculture due to its fertile alluvial soils.
Agriculture 42.26%, agricultural laborer 20.55%, wage laborer 6.45%, commerce 8.2%, service 4.69%, industry 1.7%, fishing 2.73% and others 13.42%.
Literacy rate of Habiganj is 45%. There are total 16 Colleges of which 1 (Honors) College, 3 Government colleges, 1 Polytechnic institute; 13 (further education) Colleges, 6 (government) and 99 (non-government) High Schools; 14 Junior Schools; 732 (government) and 711 (non-government) Primary Schools; 96 Madrasah; and 6 Satellite (temporary) Schools in this district.
Places of interest
Ancient Rajbari(1737–38) at Puranbagh, Baniachang
Bagala Matar Mandir, Habiganj
Baniachong village (the biggest village in Asia)
Bibir Dargah Mosque, Baniachang
Bikhangal Akhra, Baniachang
Dorga-tila, Mira-tila and Tangee-tila, Nabiganj
Foltoli-tila and water fountain, Nabiganj
Jami Mosque, Bahubal
Kalibari, Habiganj Sadar
Kuri-tila, Black-stone and an Ancient Rajbari, Dinarpur, Nabiganj
Mashulia Akhra, Habiganj Sadar
Monument for the freedom-fighters, Teliapara tea garden
Mosque of Uchail, built by Mojlishe Amin,habiganj by azaz
Murarbandar Dargah Sharif, Chunarughat Putijuri Jami Mosque, Bahubal
Ramakrishna Ashram, Habiganj Sadar Rashidpur Tea Garden, Bahubal Upazila
Shagor Dighi, Baniachong Shajeerbazar, Chunarughat
Sham-baoul Akhra and Doulotpur Akhra, Baniachang Tea gardens in the valleys
War of Liberation Mass Grave, Nabiganj
War of Liberation Memorial Monument, Nabiganj
District (2) Maulvi bazar
Maulvi Bazar is a district of Sylhet Division in North-Eastern Bangladesh.
Moulvi Bazar is in Sylhet, a district to the North-East of Bangladesh. It is 2,707 km² in area, and has a population of 1.38 million. It is situated between 24.10 degree 24.35 degree north latitude and between 90.35 degree and 91.20-degree east longitude. It is surrounded by Sylhet District in the north, Habiganj District in the west and Indian States of Assam and Tripura in the east and south respectively.
The main rivers of the district are the Manu, the Dholoi and the Juri. These rivers flow from India. Every year during the rainy season, when there is excessive rainfall in India, the surplus water flows through these rivers causing huge floods in the low-lying parts of Moulvibazar (e.g. the villages of Balikhandi and Shampashi on the northern side of the river Manu). Unless the rivers are properly dredged the floods can be devastating.
In the last few years Moulvibazar has had a muti-million dollar flood defence system built the only one like it in the whole country.
Maulvi Bazar is made up of 7 subdivisions or upazilas. They are:
Moulvibazar Sadar Barlekha Juri Kamalganj Kulaura
Islam was brought to the area hundreds of years ago by the famous Muslim Saint, Hazrat Shah Jalal (RA). The Shrine of Hazrat Shah Mustafa (RA) a companion of the greatest saint Hazrat Shah Jalal (RA) is located in Moulvibazar town. Originally, with the advent of a saint Hazrat, Syed Shah Mustafa Sher-E-Sowar Chabukmar Baghdadi (RA) for preaching Islam, Moulvibazar became famous. Moulvibazar got its name from one of the descendents of Hazrat Shah Mustafa,who was preaching there as a maulavi there
In the year 1882, it was declared a sub-division under the name of "South Sylhet". Later the Sub-division was renamed, during the Pakistan occupation of the region, as Moulvibazar. Moulvibazar was liberated on December 6 1971 and the then Pakistani administration surrendered to the joint forces of the Indian Army.
The main exports of Maulvi Bazar are bamboo, tea, pineapple, cane, jackfruit, oranges, agar, rubber, mangoes and lemons. Ninety-one of Bangladesh's 153 tea gardens are located in Moulvi Bazar. The area is also home to the three largest tea gardens (size and production wise) in the world. Pineapples from the Sreemangal area are famous for their flavour and natural sweetness. Sreemongal is known as the 'tea capital of Bangladesh' due to the high frequency of tea plantations found there.
The district of Maulvi Bazar consists 2967 mosques, 613 temples, 56 churches and 22 Buddhist temples.
Places of interest
The shrine of Shah Mustafa, a companion of Shah Jalal, the man who brought Islam into what was then India. It is also home to many tea plantations. Maulvi Bazar town now has a shopping mall and several Indian, Chinese and American eateries. Madhabkunda waterfall is one of the enchanting place in Barlekha. 'Hakaluki Haor', 'Madhobpur Lake', 'Bilashchhara Lake', 'Lawachara National Park' in Kamalganj upazilla are other places of interest in the district.
District (3) Sunamganj
Sunamganj is a district located in north-eastern Bangladesh within the Sylhet Division.
Sunamganj is located in the Sylhet Division with the Sylhet District to its east, Habiganj District to its south and Netrokona District to its west. The Surma River and Kushiyara River run through the district.
The annual average temperature of Sunamganj has a maximum of 33.2°C and a minimum 13.6°C, with annual rainfall of 3334 mm. There are many haors and beels (wetlands ecosystems) in Sunamganj.
The district of Sunamganj consists 3562 mosques, 560 temples and 61 churches.
The name Sunamganj is derived from its founder, Sipahi Sunamuddin, who established a bazaar on the bank of the river Surma. In the ancient period, Sunamganj was part of the Rarh Kingdom that included Sylhet, Habiganj, Netrokona, Kishoreganj and the northern part of Mymensingh. After the conquest of Sylhet in 1303 by Muslims under the spiritual guidance of Hazrat Shah Jalal, Hazrat Shah Kamal Qahafan brought the entire Kingdom of Rarh under his control with aid of his twelve disciples and Shah Moazzamuddin, administered the entire district from Shaharpara.In 1336 BS a devastating flood occurred as a result of a broken dam in Manipur. This flood is popularly known as 'White Water Flood'. An earthquake on 12 June 1897 caused heavy loss of lives and establishments.
During the Nankar Rebellion of Sukhair in 1922-23 many political leaders and activists of Sunamganj were involved in the anti-British movement. The leftist movement spread over the district after the partition of 1947.
During the war of liberation there were many encounters between freedom fighters and the Pakistani Army. Sunamganj was liberated on 6 December 1971.
Sunamganj District comprises 11 sub-districts or Upazilas:
Bishwamvarpur Chhatak Derai
Dharampasha Dowarabazar Jagannathpur
Jamalganj Sulla Sunamganj Sadar
Tahirpur South Sunamganj Upazila
Distrct (4) Sylhet
Sylhet District is located in north-east Bangladesh, it is one of the four districts in the Sylhet Division
Geography and climate
Sylhet District has an area of 3,490 km²; and is bounded by the districts of Maulvi Bazar, Sunamganj, Habiganj along with Cachar and Karimganj districts of India.
The physiography of Sylhet consists mainly of hill soils, encompassing a few large depressions known locally as "beels" which can be mainly classified as oxbow lakes, caused by tectonic subsidence primarily during the earthquake of 1762.
Sylhet experiences a hot, wet and humid tropical climate. The city is within the monsoon climate zone, with annual average highest temperatures of 23°C (Aug-Oct) and average lowest temperature of 7°C (Jan). Nearly 80% of the annual average rainfall of 3,334 mm occurs between May and September.
Sylhet District consists of 11 sub-districts or Upazilas. Sometimes thana is used instead of upazila, but all thana is not upazila. Upazila can consists one or more than one thanas. So the upazilas/thanas in Sylhet district are:
>Katuwali Thana under Sylhet Sadar Upazila
>Jalalabad Thana under Sylhet Sadar Upazila
>Shahporan Thana under Sylhet Sadar Upazila
>Bimanbondar Thana under Sylhet Sadar Upazila
>Maglabazar Thana under Sylhet Sadar Upazila
>South Surma Thana under Sylhet Sadar Upazila
>Osmani Nagar Thana Under Balagan
Sylhet District was established on January 3, 1782, and until 1878 it was part of Bengal province. In that year, Sylhet was included in the newly created Assam province, and it remained as part of Assam up to 1947 (except during the brief break-up of Bengal province in 1905-11). In 1947, Sylhet became a part of East Pakistan as a result of a referendum (except the sub-division of Karimganj.) Sylhet subsequently became a sub-division of Sylhet Division and was converted into a district in 1983-84.
The Majority of people follow Islam as a religion. More than 80% of people are Muslim. Hinduism is the 2nd largest religion in this country. A table showing total number of followers:
Places of interest
The Shrine of Hazrat Shah Jalal The Shrine of Hazrat Shah Paran
Shahi Eidgah Gour Govinda Fort
Kean Bridge Ali Amjad's Clock Tower
Rampasha, Biswanath (Home of Mystic Poet Hason Raja & Eklimur Raja)
Shree Chaitanya Mandir (Nimai) Jainta Rajbari
Malini chora Tea Garden Kalagul
The shrine of Hazrat Sayyeed Zakir Shah Fatimi M.C College
Museum of Rajas'(Mystic Poet Hason Raja & Folk Museum)
Tilagarh Eco Park (Alutal)
Lakdi Toda, Malinichara, Tarapur, Chan bagh, Mumin Chori Tea Estate.
Jaflong Tamabil Sripur Park
Bholaganj Lala Khal Golapgonj Botanical Garden
Jakaria City Eco Park Nazim Garh Resort
- Dream Land (Theme Park)
- Adventure World (Amusement Park)
- Osmani Shishu Udyan (Park)
- Shah Jalal Bridge
- Manipuri Para
- Sheetal Pati
District (1) Bagerhat
Bagerhat District is a district in South-western Bangladesh. It is a part of the Khulna Division.
Bagerhat district has a total area of 3959.11 square kilometres. It is bounded by Gopalganj District and Narail District on the north, The Bay of Bengal on the south, Gopalganj District, Pirojpur District and Barguna District on the east and Khulna District on the west. Main rivers of the district are Panguchi, Daratana, Madhumati River, Pasur River, Haringhata, Mongla River, Baleswar, Bangra and Goshairkhali.
Now it is the 4th largest city in Bangladesh
Khan Jahan Ali was the founder of many of the settlements in the district, he settled here in 1429, accompanied by many soldiers under his command. Khan Jahan Ali was the founder of the Khalifabad Pargana which included the areas Bagerhat, Khulna, Satkhira, Jessore and Barisal. Ali was the ruler of the Pargana from 1429 till his death in 1459. Following his death, the region came under the rule of Maharaja Pratapaditya.
One of the two ports of Bangaldesh,Mangla, is here. Rampal and Fakirhat, two upazilla of Bagerhat is known as Qwait of Bangladesh due to its huge production of shrimp and earning a lot of foreign exchange.(55%)
Bagerhat is divided into 9 upazilas, 77 union parishads, 1031 villages, 687 mouzas, 3 municipalities, 27 wards and 56 mahallas. The upazilas are:
The district of Bagerhat consists 7815 mosques, 238 temples, 17 churches and seven tombs. The Sixty Pillar Mosque or Shat Gambuj Masjid is famous mosque. Khan Jahan Ali's tomb is the famous tombs.
Places of interest
District (2) Chuadanga
Chuadanga district or Chuadanga Zilla is the name of a Western district (zilla) of Bangladesh. It is a part of the Khulna administrative division that covers most districts in the south-west of the country.
According to Greek historians, as well as from geographical formations, this region formed a part of the kingdom of Gangaridhi. A city by the name of Gangey is also thought to be located in this region.
During British rule, the region was the location of several uprisings, including Wahabi Movement (1831), Faraizi Movement(1838–47), Sepoy Rebellion (1857), Indigo Rebellion (1859–60), Khilafat Movement (1920), Swadeshi Movement (1906), Non-cooperation movement, Violation of Law and Salt Satyagraha (1920–40), Quit India Movement or August Revolt (1942).
Under British rule, Chuadanga was a sub-division within Nadia District. During partition, in 1947, excepting Krishnanagar thana (still under Nadia in West Bengal), the whole territory of Chuadanga sub-division was included in Kushtia District.
The district has an area of 1,157.42 (km)². It shares domestic borders with the Kushtia District on the northeast, Meherpur on the northwest and Jhenaidaha on the south and southeast. On its southwest lies the Nadia District (in the state of West Bengal in India).
The main township of Chuadanga lies on the bank of River Mathabhanga. The annual average maximum temperature is 40.1 °C and the average for the minimum is 8.2 °C, while 1,467 mm is received on average each year.The entire Chuadanga district lies within the Ganges Delta, with rivers Mathabhanga, Bhairab, Kumar, Chitra, and Nabaganga flowing through the district.
Until the Partition of India in 1947 Chuadanga sub-division was within Nadia district, at partition, excepting Krishnagar thana, the whole territory of Chuadanga sub-division was included in Kushtia district. It was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 5 municipalities, 36 wards, 93 mahallas, 4 upazilas, 31 union parishads, 421 mouzas and 514 villages. Municipalities are Chuadanga Sadar, Alamdanga, Damurhuda and Jibannagar and Darsana. Of these municipalities, all but the last also have upazila status.
The entire district has two representatives Member of Parliament to the National Assembly of Bangladesh. The Government appoints one Deputy Commissioner, DC, for the entire district.
The current Deputy Commissioner of Chuadanga is Mr. Bholanath Dey where as Mr. Sulaiman Haq Jowarder Selun and Mr. Ali Ajgor Togor remains as the Member of Parliament of this district
The population of the district was 987,382 during the 2001 national survey with 50.82% male and female 49.18% compositions.
The district of Chuadanga consists 3554 mosques, 218 temples, 13 churches and three Buddhist temples.
Most of this small district is dedicated to agriculture. Occupational distributions clearly show this with agriculture employing 68% of the labour force, while only 12% are involved in commerce. Total cultivable land amounts to 894.20 km², of which 57% is under some sort of irrigation.
Archaeological heritage and relicsPlaces of interest
Three domed Chuadanga Bôro Mosque, Gholdari Mosque (1006 AD), Thakurpur Mosque, Shibnôgor Mosque, Jamjami Mosque, Hajar Duari School (Damuŗhuda), Karpashdaņa Neelkuţi, Gholdari Neelkuti
District (3) Jessore
Jessore (Bengali: যশোর or Bengali: যশোহর) is a district located in the Khulna Division of southwestern Bangladesh. It is bordered by India to the west.
The district produces a variety of crops year-round. Date-sugar called patali is made from the sap of locally grown date trees that is cooked, thickened and crystallised using a traditional method. Patali is mainly produced in Khajura, but there are also many such trees in the Keshabpur and Monirampur areas.
Jessore district was established in 1781. It consists of 4 municipalities, 36 wards, 8 upazilas, 92 unions, 1329 mouzas, 1434 villages and 120 mahallas.
Jessore town which stands on the Bhairab, consists of 9 wards and 73 mahalls. Jessore municipality was established in 1864. The area of the town is 25.72 sq km. The town has a population of 1178273; male 52.97%, female 47.03%. Literacy rate among the town people is 56.57%. The town has one dakbungalow.
Upazilas are: Abhaynagar Upazila, Bagherpara Upazila, Chaugachha Upazila, Jessore kotwali Upazila, Jhikargachha Upazila, Keshabpur Upazila, Manirampur Upazila, and Sharsha Upazila.
Jessore district once belonged to the ancient Janapada kingdom of Samatat Janapada. At the time of the partition of India in 1947, Jessore was partially divided. Except for the Bangaon and Gaighata thanas, the entire district became part of East Pakistan.
The Bengali soldiers stationed at Jessore cantonment mutinied against the Pakistan Army on 29 March 1971. They were led by Captain Hafiz Uddin and Lieutenant Anwar in an uprising in which about 300 soldiers were killed. The rebels killed 50 Pakistani soldiers with machine gun fire at Chanchara.
On 7 December 1971, Jessore became the first district of Bangladesh to be liberated from Pakistani forces.
Jessore District has a population of 24,40,693, of which 51.22% are male and 48.78% are female.85.5% of the population are muslims, 14.21% are Hindus and the remaining 0.29% practise another religion. Religious
institutions included 3928 mosques, 463 temples, 86 churches and 17 Buddhist temples.
The average literacy rate is 45.2% — very low compared to the rest of the world, but average in Bangladesh. 41% of males are literate, while only 25.1% of females are.The main occupations are: agriculture 39.84%, agricultural labourer 24.13%, wage labourer 2.68%, commerce 11.99%, service 8.66%, industry 1.41%, transport 3.11% and others 8.18%.
The main crops :
paddy, jute, sugarcane, tuberose, vegetables. Main fruits are date, jackfruit, papaya, banana, litchi and coconut. Main exports are cotton, jute, leather, jackfruit, banana, comb and date molasses, and vegetables.
Jessore is also the place for growing various types of flowers.
Places to see
Village Rampur has become a tourist attraction for its island-like look surrounded by two rivers, Jhapa Bayor and Khajura Bayor. The Kapatakkha River flows through the area.
At Abhaynagar Upazila, there is a small village called Dhulgram. There was once a magnificent complex of 17 temples here, but now only one remains standing. Most of the temples were submerged into the Bhairab River, which flows by the complex. A beautiful terracotta design can be seen all over the temple. It is considered a very holy place by Bengals.
In Bhatnagar, Abhaynagar, stands the ruins of an 11 temple complex dedicated to Lord Shiva. Though the central temple is partially destroyed the place still shows the majesty of the glorious past of Bengal.
Near the town of Jessore, there is a suburb called Chanchra. A Chanchra Rajbari once stood, but it is completely ruined now. However, one can see the Shiv Temple, which is almost restored; The ruined Dosh Mahabidya Temple, which is only piece in Bangladesh, and Jora Shiv Temple at Murali in almost ruined condition.
There is a historical building named Imam Bara, situated at Murolir Mor beside the Dhaka-Khulna Highway. It was built by Hazi Muhammad Mohsin.
The Jessore Collectret Building, located in Daratana, is one of the oldest buildings in Jessore.
Sagardari is also the birthplace of the poet Michael Madhusudan Dutta. His large villa consists of a huge garden, a small museum and houses. The front gate of the house has a solid sculpture work and the Kapattakka River is only a block away from his house. Around the house, there are many small shops which usually sell souvenirs.
District (4) Jhenaidah
Jhenidah is a district in South-western Bangladesh. It is a part of the Khulna Division. It is an area 1949.62 km². On the norther it borders the Kushtia District on the north, to the south by Jessore District and West Bengal (India), to the east by Rajbari District and Magura District and to the west by Chuadanga District and West Bengal (India) on the west.
At the beginning of the British rule Jhenidah was a police out post and was turned into a thana in 1793. The Jhenidah subdivision was established in 1862 and was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of six upazilas, five municipalities, 67 union parishads, 945 mouzas, 1152 villages, 27 wards and 134 mahallas.
bara bazar (ancient name Gangadighi) of Kaliganj upazila had been a famous port of India. It has been mentioned in the Greek history that in the ancient time Prabal and muslin used to be exported from this port. In the 1860s indigo resistance movement spread all over this district. During the War of Liberation in 1971 battles were fought between Pak army and the freedom fighters at Mandartala (Kaliganj), Dulalmundia and Besaykhali (Jhenaidah Sadar) in which several members of the Pak army were killed and so were many freedom fighters. Jhenaidah was liberated on 6 December 1971.
The district of Jhenaidah consists 2256 mosques, 191 temples, a churches and 6 tombes. Gorar Mosque, Jorbangla Mosque, Galakata Mosque, Joradaha Gambuj Mosque, (Harinakunda), Shahi Mosque, Moheshpur Jame Mosque and Kaliganj Jami Mosque are famous mosques. Sarbajanin Kalibari Temple, Ramgopal Temple and Kalibari Mandir (Kaliganj) are famous temples. Shardar Khan Tomb, Gazi Kalu Champabati Tomb are tombs.
There are six upazilas under this district:
Harinakunda Upazila Jhenaidah Sadar Upazila Kaliganj Upazila
Kotchandpur Upazila Moheshpur Upazila, Shailkupa Upazila
Places To See
Naldanga Temple Complex:, in the Kaliganj Upazilla, is a temple complex built in 1656 by Maharaj Indranarayan Debroy. There are a total six temples now. The government restored all of them in 1980s but it was destroyed again during the riot. Now most of the temples are in ruins. Renovations are still going on. The idol of goddess Kali was came from Banaras, India. Buses to Kaliganj are easily available from Jessore. Naldanga can be reached by rickshaw from Kaliganj.
Kolika Doha is another remarkable place situated in Naldanga, 300 miter distance from Naldanga Temple Complex.
The biggest banyan tree in the world: is situated in kaligonj Upazilla of this district. A person can go there by rickshaw or other human hauler from Kaliganj main bus stand.
Baro Bazar: Gazi kalur chompa botir Mazar, Gora Mosjid (Mosque), Sako bazar mosjid and more than 10 other mosjid (mosque)and more than 5 big dighi are situated in Baro Bazar of Kaligonj Upazilla.
Bulu Deouan er Mazar is another remarkable place in Kaligonj Upazill.
The Gunjanath temple dates back at 17th century is also in Kaliganj. It can be reached from Naldanga.
DattaNagar Krishi Khamar (BADC)
Shundorpur Jomidar bari
Shahi Masjid, in Shailkupa. more than 600 years old situated besides the Kali rever on Shailkupa Bazar.
Monohorpur kobi Golan Mostofar Bari.
Ram Babur Bari Shailkupa.
The palace of Salim Chowdhury(called as 'Mia's dalan') at Muralidah in Jhenaidah sadar which is around of 200 years old is also an attaractive place.A person can eaisly go there by rickshaw from jhenaidah sadar.
This is the birth place of "PAGLA KANAI" & "LALON SHAH" (but his tomb situated in kustia)
Another remarkable place is "DHOLL SOMUDDRO"
District (5) Khulna
The Khulna District is a district of Bangladesh. It is located in the Khulna Division. It has an area of 4394.46 km² and is bordered on the north by the Jessore District and the Narail District, on the south by the Bay of Bengal, on the east by the Bagerhat District, and on the west by the Satkhira District.
Terokhada Upazila Batiaghata Upazila Dacope Upazila
Dumuria Upazila Dighalia Upazila Koyra Upazila
Paikgachha Upazila Phultala Upazila Rupsa Upazila
Khulna is named after a goddess of the Hindu religion, Khulleshwari. In 1947, the district of Khulna had a Hindu majority , but now the district's total population is about 80% Muslim.Now it is the third largest district in Bangladesh
Khulna is a port city.It is the most increasing city in the south. Mongla is the major sea port of the country. In Daulatpur there are several jute mills. By road, railway and riverway it is connected to other parts of the country. This infrastructure plays a vital role in the city's economy, which also depends upon fishing and salt industries. Khulna has a newsprint mill that will about reopen in the near future. The Khulna shipyard receives limited support from the Bangladesh Navy by building small, ocean-going ships. The Khulna textile and hardboard mills will reopen soon under private ownership. RAJA in Khulna.....
The district of Khulna consists 10859 mosques, 680 temples, 81 churches, 15 Buddhist temples and 9 tombs.
Places of interest
The Sundarbans is the largest mangrove forest in the world. The royal Bengal tiger inhabits the area; it is said that seeing the tiger enables a person to understand what a tiger means. There are many other rare animals in the area, including monkeys, chitra deer, crocodiles, wild cocks, wild pigs and thousands of kinds of birds.
The historically-famous Shatgombuj Mosque (Sixty Dome Mosque) is in the Bagerhat District. It is famous for Khan Jahan Ali's mazar. A lake near the mosque has crocodiles.
From Kuakatan, both the rising and the setting of the sun into the ocean can be seen.
District (6) kushtia
Kushtia, Kushtia district or Kushtia Zila is a district in the Khulna administrative division of western Bangladesh. Kushtia has existed as a separate district since the partition of India. Prior to that, Kushtia was a part of Nadia District under Bengal Province of British India. Kushtia was home of many famous people, especially authors and poets. Present day Kushtia is known for the Islamic University, Shilaidaha Kuthibari and Lalon's shrine.
The Shahi Mosque in Kushtia bears the sign of rich cultural heritage of the region from Mughal period. Kushtia is the birthplace of many historical figures including Mir Mosharraf Hossain (1847-1912) and Bagha Jatin (1879-1915). King of Bauls, Lalon Fakir (1774-1890), also hailed from this district and his shrine, reconstructed in 1963, still attracts many people from home and abroad. Nobel laureate poet Rabindranath Tagore lived a part of his life at Shelaidaha in this district and created some of his memorable poems while living there. However, during the British rule Kushtia was not a separate district – it was a part of a part of the Nadia district (now in West Bengal) of undivided India. A municipality was established in Kushtia in 1869. Hamilton's Gazetteer has the mention of Kushtia (Kustee) town and of the fact that the local people called the town Kushtay (Kushte)
Kushtia District has an area of 1621.15 square kilometres and is bounded by Rajshahi, Natore, Pabna districts to the North, by Chuadanga, Jhenaidah districts to the South, by Rajbari District to the East, and by West Bengal and Meherpur District to the West.
Ganges, Gôrai, Mathabhanga, Kaligônga, and Kumar are the main rivers flowing through the district. The average high temperature is 37.8 °C and the average low is 11.2 °C. Annual rainfall averages 1,467 millimetres.
Kushtia was created as a district in 1947 with the partitioning of India and the creation of Bangladesh. Initially, Kushtia consisted of the Kushtia Sadar (Kushtia City), Chuadanga and Meherpur subdivisions. Each of these subdivisions was later converted to a separate district for ease of management. Kushtia district consists of six upazilas as well with one police thana [islamic university] , five municipalities, 39 wards, 70 mahallas, 61 union parishads, 710 mouzas, and 978 villages.
The upazilas are
Kushtia Sadar, Kumarkhali, Daulatpur,
Mirpur, Bheramara and Khoksa .
Kushtia District has a population of 13,324, of which 50.86% are male and 49.14% female. In terms of religion, 95.72% dwellers of Kushtia are Muslims, 4.22% follow Hinduism and others religions make up 0.06%. Religious institutions are mosques 3587, temples 185, churches 32
Kushtia produce a large number of rice in Khajanagor by Auto rice Mill(Rashid Auto Rice Mills),It has also a big commercial area named BISIC SHILPONOGORY, BRB is one of its famous brand and a Tobacco Factory(British American Tobacco Company)
Places of interest
The Rabindra Kuthibari of Shilaidaha is a beautiful mansion where the Noble Laureate Rabindranath Tagore's lived to administer his family Zamindari. The Kuthibari,located at Shilaidaha in Kumarkhali Upazila of the Kushtia district, is only 20km from Kushtia town. He lived here for part of his life, and wrote many memorable poems there. Tagore built the Kuthibari as his office/residence, to collect revenue as a Zaminder, from local peasants. The Kuthibari is now a museum, and is cared for by the Archaeological Department of Bangladesh.
The shrine of Lalon Fakir, the founder of the Baoul faith is located at Cheouria, about 2 km from the Kustia railway station.
District (7) Magura
Magura is a district in South-Western Bangladesh. It is a part of the Khulna Division.
Magura District (Khulna Division) with an area of 1048 km2, is bounded by Rajbari district on the north, Jessore and Narail districts on the south, Faridpur district on the east and Jhenaidaha district on the west. Annual average temperature: maximum 37.1 °C, minimum 11.2 °C; annual rainfall 1467 mm. Main rivers are Gorai, Madhumati, Kumar, Nabaganga and Fatki; Ramsagar and Bural Baor are notable.
Magura sub-division was established in 1945 and was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 4 upazilas, 1 municipality, 18 wards, 61 mahallas, 36 union parishads, 537 mouzas, and 700 villages
Magura district has 4 sub-divisions / upazilas. They are:
Magura Sadar Upazila Mohammadpur Upazila
Shalikha Upazila Sreepur Upazila
Religious institutions Mosque 965, temple 341, church 3, tombs and shrines 7.
Literacy & educational institutions Average literacy 28.5%; male 35.2% and female 20.9%. Educational institutions: college 15, primary teacher's training institute 1, technical institute 1, nursing institute 1, high school 94, junior high school 16, madrasa 74, government primary school 266, non-government primary school 101, satellite school 19, kindergarten 10, community school 129.
Main occupations Agriculture 51.26%, fishing 1.22%, agricultural labourer 19%, wage labourer 2.53%, industry 1.24%, commerce 9.37%, service 6.01%, transport 2.45% and others 6.92%.
Places of interestGhat of Nader Chand, tomb of Pir Mokerram Ali, tomb of Garib Shah, remnants of the Rajbari of Raja Sitaram Roy, Rajbari of Raja Satrujit Roy, fortification of Debal Raja, remnants of the Rajbari of Birat Raja at Sreepur, Mosque at village Gopal (Mughal period), Siddheshwari Math at Athara Khada and Ashram of Nangta Baba (Satdoha Ashram).
Marks of War of Liberation Mass grave:
Magura PTI compound, WAPDA canal, Binodpur Bazar, Galakata Bridge (Chhaigharia); memorial monument- PTI main gate adjacent to the Magura Bishwa Road.
District (8) Meherpur
Meherpur is a district in South-western Bangladesh which is also the smallest district of Bangladesh. It is a part of the Khulna Division. Before 1984, it was a part of Kushtia district. Meherpur is a historical district in Bangladesh because of the fact that the Proclamation of Independence was solemnly made at the village Baidyanathtola, Mujibnagar, on 17 April 1971. On this very day the first provisional government of Bangladesh took oath here under the leadership of Tajuddin Ahmed.
Before the partition (1947) Meherpur was a part of the Nadia district of India. The Meherpur subdivision was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of 1 municipality, 9 wards and 72 mahallas, 3 upazilas, 18 union parishads, 277 villages, 190 mouzas.
The upazilas are meherpur sadar MUJIBNAGAR and gangni.
Agriculture 37.37%, agricultural labourer 33.89%, wage labourer 3.36%, commerce 12.97%, transport 1.05%, service 3.53%, others 7.83%.
Religions institutions Mosque 566, temple 19, church 7, tomb 3.
579531; male 50.77% and female 49.23%; Muslim 97.5%, Hindu 1.28%, Christian 1.17% and others 0.05%.
Places of interest
Gosaidubi Mosque at Karamdi, Dargahs of Sheik Farid and Shah Enayet, Mazars of Barkat Bibi and Bagudewan, Ballavpur Mission, Teragharia Marrut, Shiva Mandir at Ballavpur, Alampur Mandir, Bhabanipur Mandir, Neelkuthis at Aamjhupi, Bhatpara and Saharbati
District (9) Narail
Narail is a district in South-western in Bangladesh. It is a part of the Khulna Division.
Narail's headquarter was named so because of the Zamindars of Narail. The Zaminders established the shopping market called Rupganj - named after a Zaminder. They also established a post office there for the first time during British Raj - called Ratanganj - again named after another Zaminder. They modernised Narail by the standard of those days. They also promoted culture, sports and education in that part of the world. The large playing field called "Kuriddobe" was their gift. They introduced football competition in that part with a shield given to the champions and a cup the runners-up as well as medals to all players from early twentieth century. One of the Zamiders moved away from Narail and settled in Hatbaria where they established another large building (Zamider Bari) or rather buildings joined together.
Narail District (Khulna Division) with an area of 990.23 km², is bounded by Magura District on the north, Khulna District on the south, Faridpur District and Gopalganj District on the east, and by Jessore District on the west. Annual average temperature is maximum 37.1C, minimum 11.2C; annual rainfall is 1467 mm. Main rivers are Madhumati , Nabaganga , Bhairab , Chitra and Kajla . There are many beels and baors most noted of which is Chachuri Beel.
Total Land Area 240,439-acre (973 km2) , Cultivable Area 176,504-acre (714 km2), Fallow Land 25,090-acre (102 km2), Area Under Forest 10 Acre, Area Irrigated 36,208-acre (147 km2), Area Under River 8,562-acre (35 km2)
Narail Sadar , Lohagara , Kalia
The District of Narail or Narail Zilla in the Bengali has three upzillas: Narail, Kalia and Lohagara. Narail Upzilla or Narail Sadar is the administrative and business center of Narail district where the offices of the Deputy Commissioner, Superintendent Police, Additional District Magistrate and other local government officials are located.
The district of Narail consists 1675 mosques, 248 temples, four churches, seven tombs and 11 shrines.
Places of interest
Archaeological heritage and relics: Mosque at Village Goalbathan (1654), Kadamtala Mosque, Ghazir Dargah at Naldi, homestead of Raja Keshab Roy at Wazirpur, Radha Govinda Mandir at Jorbangla (eighteenth century), Kalibari at Lakshmipasha, Math at Baradia of Nishinathtala.Dr. Niharanzon gupta ar barri,Itna,Lohagara. Narail Victoria College and Collegiate School is one of the oldest modern high school in Bangladesh - established in 1858 by the zaminders of Narail who were famous for their love of education. Same Zaminders also established a girls' school which was a rarity in Bangladesh at that time. It's called Shib Shankar Memorial Girls' School. This school closed down due to lack of finance after the Zaminders left then East Pakistan. It was re-opened by some local enthusiasts Mr. J Bhattacharjee, Mr. S Biswas & Mr B Bhowmic. They borrowed furnitures from neighbours including my parents. They also went round to houses pleaing to send their children to the school. I along with two of sisters went to the school as they allowed boys at that time. Narail's Zaminder bari was one of the biggest in whole of Bengal. But unfortunately when the Zaminders left the country after partition of India, the whole house was looted and vandalised. It gradually collapsed. There is still some remains present specially the Kalibary, the Shib mandir and the Bandha ghat on the Chitra river. Some local people continued the famous Durga Puja in the capmpus of the Zamider Bari, but it stopped after a few years for obvious reason. Part of the building was used for some time as Government civil service office. But due to lack of maintenance it gave in. The famous writer - Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay was a magistrate in Narail and his book Neelkuthi was based on the forceful cultivation of Indigo in Narail by the East India Company. Narail was once declared "Independent" from the British Raj by "Sharala-di" as she was known at the time by her followers of independence movement of India. But for obvious reason the "independence" only lasted for 3 days.
District (10) Satkhira
Satkhira is a district in South-western Bangladesh. Part of the Khulna Division, it lies along the border with West Bengal in India.
Geography and climate
Satkhira District has an area of 3858.33 km², It is bordered to the north by Jessore District, on the south by the Bay of Bengal, to the east by Khulna District, and to the west by Pargana District of West Bengal. The annual average maximum temperature reaches 35.5°C (95.9°F); and minimum temperature is 12.5°C (54.5°F). The annual rainfall is 1710 mm (67 in). The main rivers are the Morichap River, Kholpotua River, Betna River, Raimangal River, Hariabhanga River, Ichamati River, Betrabati River and Kalindi-Jamuna River.
The district consists of two municipalities, seven upazilas, 79 union parishads, eight thana and 1436 villages.
The upazilas are:
Assasuni Debhata Kalaroa
Kaliganj Shyamnagar Tala Patkelghata
The two municipalities are Satkhira Sadar and Kalaroa.
The total population of Satkhira District is 1,843,194, of which 78.08% are Muslim, 21.45% are Hindu, 0.28% are Christian, 0.01% are Buddhist and 0.18% are other religions. The population is 50.54% male and 49.46% female.
The literacy movement name is Uddiptya Satkhira.
There are two hospitals, the Zila Sadar hospital and a children's hospital, as well as seven upazila health complexes.
The district of Satkhira consists 3296 mosques, 1305 temples, 59 churches, 35 Buddhist temples, 8 tombs and 45 shrines.
Main occupations: Agriculture 36.9%, fishing 1.86%, pisciculture 1.01%, agricultural labourer 26.74%, wage labourer 3.72%, commerce 13.32%, industry 1.49%, transport 2.46%, service 4.37%, and others 8.13%. Main crops: paddy, jute, sugarcane, mustard seed, potato, onion and betel leaf. Extinct or nearly extinct crops: indigo, linseed, sesame, kaun and aus paddy. Main fruits: mango, black berry, jackfruit, banana, papaya, litchi, coconut and guava. Fisheries and farms: 86 dairies, 322 poultries, 3046 fisheries, 3650 shrimp farms, 66 hatcheries and 1 artificial breeding centre.
Places of interest
Sundarbans is the largest single block of tidal halophytic mangrove forest in the world and is a World Heritage Site, and covers an area of 5747 km².
The region is home to many ancient buildings and temples such as Sultanpur Shahi Mosque (500 years old), Joykali Mandir, Puratan Satkhira (300 years old), Jahajghata Naval Fort (Mautala, 1567), Baro Duary (Ishwaripur, 1582), Shahi Mosque (Banshipur, 1599), Joseshwari Mandir (Ishwaripur, 1899), Triangular Mandir of Chanda Bhairabi (Ishwaripur),Mothbaria Nabaratna Mandir (sonabaria, kalaroa 1767), Nagar Fort of Raja Pratapaditya (Kaliganj), Parabajpur Mosque (Mukundapur), Hamman Khana (Ishwaripur), the Mozaffar Garden, the Tetulia Jami Mosque (Tala, 1858–59)bonalata housing project and bonalata garden, New and Mini Picnic Spot-Sattar Moroler Bari(Bandakati, Kaliganj, Satkhira). Mini Market Satkhira Sohid Nazmul Soroni
District (1) Barguna
Barguna is a district in South-western Bangladesh. It is a part of the Barisal Division.
The Barguna District has a total area of 1831.31 km². It is bounded on the north by the districts of Jhalkathi, Barisal, Pirojpur and Patuakhali. In the east, it borders the Patuakhali District. On the south, Barguna is bounded by the Patuakhali District, and the Bay of Bengal. On the western side, it borders Pirojpur and Bagerhat districts. Important rivers of Barguna district include the Payra River, Bishkhali River and the Baleshwar River.
Barguna is divided into five upazilas:
Amtali Upazila Bamna Upazila Barguna Sadar Upazila
Betagi Upazila Patharghata Upazila
Barguna's economy is primarily dependent on agriculture. Principal crops include rice and pulses. Jute cultivation was once important, but the crop gradually lost popularity as a cash crop. Being a coastal district, Barguna has a thriving fishing industry. Produce of the district includes betel leaf, pulses, bananas, betel nut, molasses, marine fish, and shrimp. A small manufacturing industry comprises mostly rice mills, saw mill, soap factory, flour mill, ice factory and pen factory. Traditional cottage industries such as weaving, bamboo and cane art work, goldsmithing, blacksmithing, pottery, wood work, and tailoring also thrive in rural areas.
The district of Barguna consists 3485 mosques, 43 temples, five churches and a Buddhist temple.
As of 2007, Barguna District has an overall population of 902,465 with a population density of 492 persons/km². Females constitute a majority of the population with a percentage of 50.12% while males constitute 49.88%.
District (2) Barisal
Barisal City is an old port on the Kirtankhola on the northern shore of the Bay of Bengal in southern Bangladesh and it is 142 km (373km by road) far from capital city Dhaka. It is now the divisional headquarter of the Barisal Division and consists of 30 wards and 50 mahallas. The area of the town is 19.99 km².
Barisal municipality was established in 1957 and was turned into a City Corporation in 2000.
Barisal City has one police academy.
Barisal was a semi-independent area in Mughal period because of heavy fighting between them and Hindu chiefs. In course of time, it fell under Bengal Nawabs and British India, later passed to Bangladesh.
Following the partition of India in 1947, the area of Bangladesh became a province of Pakistan, initially known as East Bengal, and then, from 1955, as East Pakistan. The people of East Pakistan Province declared their independence as the nation of Bangladesh on March 26, 1971, while fighting a savage war against the central Pakistani government. The separation from Pakistan took place, with extensive aid from India, on December 16, 1971 as a result of the third Indo-Pakistan War. Bangladesh was soon recognized by most other nations, although Pakistan withheld diplomatic recognition until 1974 and China did not recognize the nation until 1976. Bangladesh was admitted to the United Nations in 1974.
Barisal District with an area of 2790.51 sq km is bounded by Madaripur, Shariatpur, Chandpur and Lakshmipur districts on the north, Patuakhali, Barguna and Jhalokati districts on the south, Bhola and Lakshmipur districts on the east, Jhalokati, Pirojpur and Gopalganj districts on the west. Whereas the area of the town is 16.37 sq km.
According to an estimate of 2008 Barisal has a population of 210,374; male 53.28%, female 46.72%. Literacy rate among the town people is 85%. Main occupations are Agriculture 35.28%, agricultural labourer 18.76%, wage labourer 4.16%, commerce 13.89%, service 10.64%, fishing 3.45%, construction 1.25%, transport 1.72% and others 10.85%.
Agailjhara Upazila Babuganj Upazila Bakerganj Upazila
Banaripara Upazila Gaurnadi Upazila Hizla Upazila
Barisal Sadar Upazila Mehendiganj Upazila Muladi Upazila
The majority of the people of Barisal (90.64 per cent) identify themselves as Muslims.This is followed by those of Hindus (8.38 per cent) and Christians (0.98 per cent).There are about 3941 Mosques, 805 temples, 44 churches and 5 tombs.
Barisal is a rice producing center of Bangladesh. Balam (a kind of baasmati) is the most popular rice in Barisal. It is also famous for Betel Leaf, a typical south Asian chewing item. As Barisal is surrounded by river so fish is plenty in there.It is said..
"Dhan (paddy) nadi (river) Khal (canal) ai tine Barisal."
Means, paddy,river and canal this three thing makes Barisal.
Coconut is very common in there as it is a costal area. Hog Plum in Barisal is very famous.
Places of interest
Just 12 km out of Barisal City is the place called Durga Sagar which is a large pond. Serving as a place for holiday trips for the city's residents, it also attracts visitors from other places. This is one of the main place of residence for the migrant birds that comes in winter.
Near Durga Sagar are the ancient ruins of the palace of a local landlord of the British colonial era (called Bangla in Bangla). Anyone can have a view of the palaces of this time by the sight of it. It is only a 15 minutes ride on a non-pollutant three wheeler called Van from Durga Sagar.
The Bangabandhu Uddan (former Bell's Park) is a place inside Barisal City, right on the banks of River [Kirtonkhola].
Not far from Barisal city, there is a beach called Kuakata. There is a motel in Kuakata and a place with colorful tribals.
Near Barisal city, over river Kirtonkhola a Bridge is under construction from October 2006 named Dapdapia Bridge.
Bhola is a district in south-western Bangladesh. It is located in the Barisal Division. It is also the largest offshore island region in Bangladesh, with an area of 3403.48 km². It is bounded by Lakshmipur and Barisal districts to the north, Bay of Bengal to the south, Lakshmipur and Noakhali districts, Meghna (lower) river and Shahbazpur Channel to the east, Patuakhali district and Tentulia river to the west.
Bhola consists of 9 wards and 17 mahallas. It has an area of 12.16 km2. The town has a population of 39,964; male 52.39%, female 47.61%. The literacy rate among the towns people is 63.9%. Bhola Municipal town was established in 1920. The town has four dakbungalows.
Bhola district comprises the following upazilas:
Bhola Sadar Upazila Burhanuddin Upazila Char Fasson Upazila
Daulatkhan Upazila Lalmohan Upazila Manpura Upazila
The district of Bhola consists 3083 mosques, 15 temples and a Buddhist temple.
Places of interest
Bhola Govt High School Bhola Girls High School Bhola govt college
Bhola Govt Girls College Bhola Shishu Park Charfashion College
Dhaligour Nagar High School Bhola Bus Stand Bhorhanuddin hallypath
Monpura (Natural scenary) Bhola Town High School
Jhalokati District (barisal division) with an area of 758.06 sq km, is bounded by barisal district on the north and east, barguna district and the Bishkhali river on the south, lohagara and pirojpur districts on the west. Annual average temperature: maximum 33.3°C, minimum 12.1°C; annual rainfall 2506 mm. Main rivers are Bishkhali, Sugandha, Dhansiri, Gabkhan, Jangalia and Bamanda.
Jhalokati subdivision was established in 1972 and was turned into a district in 1984. It consists of 2 municipalities, 18 wards, 4 upazilas, 32 union parishads, 400 mouzas, 66 mahallas and 449 villages.
The upazilas are
jhalokati sadar, kathalia, nalchity and rajapur.
Religious institutions Mosque 1697, temple 307, church 2, tomb 4.
Population 696055; male 49.36%, female 50.64%; Muslim 87.31%, Hindu 12.64% and others 0.05%.
Agriculture 40.07%, agricultural labourer 15.68%, wage labourer 4.66%, commerce 12.43%, service 11.03%, fishing 1.1%, transport 1.86%, construction 1.75% and others 11.42%.
Places of interest
Archaeological heritage and relics Sujabad Kellah (fort), remnants of the Ghosal Rajbari, Old Municipal Building, Civil Court Building (1781), Surichora Jami Mosque, Madabar Mosque.
District (5) Patuakhali
Patuakhali is a district in South-western Bangladesh. It is a part of the Barisal Division. This is the main entrance for the beach of Kuakata. Famous for watching both the sun rise and sun set. It is called "The Daughter of Sea".
This district is called "SagorKonna", which means "Daughter of Sea". It is watered by the Bay of Bengal.
The three sides of Patuakhali city is surrounded by rivers. Among them two major rivers are Laukathi and Lohalia, which are directly connected with the Bay of Bengal.
The city also has a inland airport used to transporting and traveling of the citizens across the country.
There are 8 Upazilas/Thanas in this district. They are:
Bauphal Upazila Dasmina Upazila Galachipa Upazila
Kalapara Upazila Mirzaganj Upazila Patuakhali Sadar Upazila
Dumki Upazila. Rangabali Thana
Agriculture is the profession of the most of the people. Fishing is also a prominent profession of this district. Thousands of boats go into the deep sea to fish and come back with tons of fish. Paddy, Jute, and different types of vegetables are the main product of agriculture sector.
The district of Patuakhali consists 3892 mosques, 187 temples, three Buddhist temples and two churches.
Places of interest
There is a popular beach in this district at Kuakata, offering decent views of the Bay of Bengal. A number of different tribal peoples live in the district. Most of them are from the Mog and Chakma tribal groups. * ------ Mirzaganj (Year Uddin Khalipa's MAZAR). ------- Kalaia Bandar (Rice's Hut). ------- Mohipur (Fishing Boat).
Patuakhali University of Science and Technology is located in Dumki Upazila. It is known for being particularly strong in agriculture and IT education.
District (8) Pirojpur
Pirojpur is a district in South-western Bangladesh. It is a part of the Barisal Division.
Pirojpur is also the name of a city of about 100,000 people. Most of the land is low lying and the soil is fertile. There are small forests.
Pirojpur district is divided into seven upazilas :
Pirojpur Sadar Upazila Nesarabad (Swarupkati) Upazila
Mathbaria Upazila Bhandaria Upazila
Zianogar (former Indoorkani) Nazirpur Upazila and Kawkhali Upazila
Population 1126525; male 50.02%, female 49.98%; Muslim 79.01%, Hindu 20.91% and others 0.08%.
Agriculture 35.3%, agricultural labourer 17.05%, wage labourer 5.71%, commerce 16.2%, service 7.25%, fishing 2.68%, transport 1.64%, construction 1.28% and others 12.89%.
Mosque 2556, temple 594, church 1, sacred place 4, tomb 2.
Places of interest
Archaeological heritage and relics
Kumarkhali Kali Mandir, Rayerkati Zamindarbari and Shiva Mandir, two domed mosque (Nesarabad), remnants of Kaurikhara Zamindarbari.
District (1) Dinajpur
Dinajpur is a district in Northern Bangladesh. It is a part of the Rangpur Division.
Dinajpur is bounded by Thakurgaon and Panchagarh districts in the north, Gaibandha and Joypurhat districts in the south, Nilphamari and Rangpurdistricts in the east, and the state of West Bengal, India in the west. The total area of the district is 3,437.98 km2. Annual average highest temperature 33.5 °C and lowest 10.5 °C; annual rainfall 2,536mm. Main rivers are Dhepa, Punarbhaba, and Atrai.
Sub-districts or Upazilas are
Birampur Upazila, Birganj, Biral Upazila, Bochaganj Upazila,
Chirirbandar Upazila, Phulbari Upazila, Ghoraghat Upazila,
Hakimpur Upazila, Kaharole Upazila, Khansama Upazila,
Dinajpur Sadar Upazila, Nawabganj, Parbatipur Upazila.
Total Population is 2,617,942 (According to the census of 2001 and Bangladesh Statistical Bureau). Among them male 51.12%, female 48.88%.
Ethnic nationals: the Santal and Oraon.
Average literacy 60%; male 34.7% female 19.5%.
Main occupations Agriculture 42.85%, agricultural labourer 29.19%, wage labourer 2.48%, commerce 10.2%, transport 1.67%, service 5.58%, others 8.03%.
Land control Landless 40%, small farmers 30%, medium farmers 25%, large farmers 5%; per capita cultivable land 500m2.
Muslim 76.65%, Hindu 20.58%, Christian 0.80%, Buddhist 0.11% and other 1.86%.
Religious institutions Mosques 4891, Temples 956, Churches 75, Pagoda 23, sacred place 5, tombs 16 and shrines 255
Dinajpur was once a part of the ancient state of Pundravardhana. Devkot which rotated as capital of Lakhnauti was located 11 miles south of Dinajpur town. The British administrative control in Dinajpur was established in 1786 (ref. Banglapedia). At the time of Partition of Bengal in 1947, part of greater Dinajpur district was included in West Bengal and it was named West Dinajpur district. People of the district took part in the Tebhaga Movement and also had significant contribution in the War of Liberation of 1971.
Kantajew Temple, Sitakot Bihar (the oldest Badya Bihar in the world), Rajbari, Dinajpur Museum, Ramsagar tank , Sukhsagar, Matasagar and the tombs of Chehel Gazi and Gor-e-Shahid Moydan, Sitar Kuthuri, Habra Zamindar Bari, Gour Gabindha, Baraduari, Shingha Darwaza (Lion Gate), Nayabad mosque, Aowkora(echoing) Mosque, Ghughu-danga Zamindar Bari
The economy of Dinajpur mainly depends upon agriculture based production. Dinajpur is famous for rice production. 'Katharivog' rice is the best produced rice in Bangladesh. Dinajpur is also rich with wheat production. The Lychee(fruit) of Dinajpur is the best of Bangladesh. Dinajpur is also famous for its Mangoes. "Kosba" is called the matrix of mango. Also it grows a plenty of vegetables and seasonal fruits. A huge percentage of people from Dinajpur depends upon agri based products. The main industry also includes rice processing mills. However, Dinajpur is highly rich with natural resources like coal. The coal of Boropukuria Coal Mine is empowering a 250MW power generation plant. More sites are discovered to have coal. Asia Energy PLC is a new company, without any history of previous mining experience, quoted in the London Alternative Investment Market, set up to exploit open cast coal mining opportunities in the Phulbari region of Dinajpur.
Places of interest
Kantajew Temple Gorashohid Boro-Moydan Nayabad Mosque
Aowkora Mosque Dinajpur Rajbari Rudrapur Dipshikha School
Ramsagar Hili Land Port is the second-largest land port of Bangladesh
Shopnopuri artificial amusement park Nowpara Ideal Village
Ghughu-danga Zamindar Bari Singra Forest
K. T Complex, Proprietor - RAJ KUMAR KHETAN
Shita Coart Bihar, Nawabganj
District (2) Gaibandha
Gaibandha is a district in Northern Bangladesh. It is a part of the Rangpur Division. Gaibandha was established in 1875 when the subdivision was transferred from Bhabaniganj to Gaibandha. Gaibandha municipality was established in 1923. The literacy rate among the town people is 61.9%.
Gaibandha has a total area of 2179.27 square kilometres. It has boundaries with the Kurigram and Rangpur to the north, Bogra District to the south, Dinajpur and Rangpur districts to the west, and Jamalpur and Kurigram districts, and the Brahmaputra River to the east.
Gaibandha District is divided into 7 upazilas/thanas, which are further divided into 82 union parishads, and 1244 villages.
The upazilas/thanas of the district are:
1. Fulchhari 2. Gaibandha sadar 3. Gobindaganj 4. Palashbari
5. Sadullapur 6. Saghata 7. Sundarganj
It also has 3 municipalities, which have a total of 18 wards and 56 mahallas. The municipalities are: 1. Gaibandha Sadar 2. Gobindaganj 3. Sundarganj
The total population of the district, according to a 2003 estimate , is 2,117,959. Out of that, males constitute 50.26% and females 49.74%.
The district of Gaibandha consists 3682 mosques, 335 temples, 26 churches and 15 Buddhist temples.
The main occupations of Gaibandha district are agriculture 44.45%, agricultural laborer 27.72%, wage laborer 2.58%, transport 1.89%, commerce 9.11%, service 4.49% and others 9.76%. Total cultivable lands are 149475 hectares, fallow land are 67565.16 hectares; the amount of crop: single crop 20.5%, double crop 58.5% and treble crop 21%; land under irrigation 27.16%. Main crops are Paddy, wheat, jute, sugarcane, potato, brinjal, mustard seed, chili, onion, garlic and vegetables. There are 277 poultries, 273 dairies, 245 fisheries, 5 hatcheries, 16 nurseries and 2 artificial cattle breeding centers.
Places of interest
Archaeological heritage and relics in this district include Vardhan Kuthi, Gobindaganj (17th century), house of Naldanga Zamindar along with its Shiva Linga made of black basalt, Vrisa Mandir of white stone and a large pond, Mosque of Shah Sultan Gazi at Mirer Bagan (1308), house of Bamandanga Zamindar, Mosque at Jamalpur, large pond at Faridpur, Masta Mosque at Gobindaganj.
District (3) Kurigram
Kurigram District is located in the northern region of Bangladesh along the border of India. The area of this district is 2,296.10 km² and population is 1,782,277 (2001 national population census). This district is surrounded by Cooch Behar district of India in the north, Gaibandha district of Bangladesh in the south, Assam state of India in the east and, Lalmonirhat and Rangpur districts of Bangladesh in the west. Weather of the Kurigram district is bit different from the middle or southern part of Bangladesh. During summer, temperature is higher and during winter is lower than middle or southern part of Bangladesh. The average maximum temperature is about 32-33 degree Celsius when average minimum temperature is about 10-11 degrees. Heavy rainfall is usually observed during the rainy season like other parts of Bangladesh and the average annual rainfall is about 3000 mm. Several rivers are flowing through the heart of this district. The major rivers are Brahmaputra, Dharla, and Tista with minors are Dudhkumar, Phulkumar, Gangadhar, Jinjiram etc. Three northern subdistricts (namely thana or upazila)of this district (Nageshwari, Bhurungamari, and Phulbari) are recently connected by a beautiful bridge over the Dharla river with the main land of the district.
Kurigram District consists of 9 sub-districts:
Kurigram Sadar Nageshwari Bhurungamari Phulbari
Rajarhat Ulipur Chilmari Rowmari
From the ancient time Kurigram is a land of agriculture. Several agricultural products are the major driving power of the economy of this district such as rice, jute (called the golden fiber of Bangladesh), wheat, tobacco, potato etc. During winter season, when ground water level is usually lower than rainy season, peoples use irrigation system to cultivate several high yielding varies of rice to keep the economy strong of this district. Several cold storage are also adding value to the economy of this district by preserving agricultural products especially potato during the hot summer season.
The district of Kurigram consists 3726 mosques, 384 temples, 54 Buddhist temples and 31 churches.
Places of interest
Remnants of a mosque (Mughal period, 1176 AH) at Nayarhat (Rajarhat), remnants of a mosque near Patweshwari Bazar (Mughal period), three domed mosque (Mughal period) at village Majider Par of Thanahat Union (Bhurangamari), Arabic inscription of a mosque (Hussain Shahi period, now preserved at the Rajshahi Barendra Museum), Joymoni Zamindar Bari, Naodanga Zamindar Bari and Mandir (Phulbari), Pangeshwari Mandir and remnants of the Rajbari (Rajarhat), image of Kali at Dasherhat, images of Mangal Chandi, Kamakkha Devi, Laksmi and Sattanarayan in front of the Bhetarbandh Zamindar Bari, Kali Siddheshwari Mandir (Ulipur), two canons of Panga Kingdom (preserved at the BDR Gate).
District (4) Lalmonirhat
Lalmonirhat is a district, situated at the north side boarder of Bangladesh.. It is a part of the Rangpur Division. There are five Thana/Upazila-Lalmanirhat Sadar, Aditmari, Kaliganj, Hatibandha and Patgram.
Lalmonirhat District with an area of 1241.46 km2, is bounded by Koch Bihar and Jalpaiguri districts of West Bengal on the north, Rangpur District on the south, Kurigram District and Koch Bihar district of West Bengal on the east, Nilphamari and Rangpur districts on the west. The district is striped shape. Main rivers 7, most noted of which are Tista, Dharla and Saniajan. The river Saniajan originating from the Himalaya has strong current. Sarnamati, Trimohoni, Ratnai and Sati rivers are almost silted.
Population 1088918; male 50.57%, female 49.43%; Muslim 83.2%, Hindu 16.5%, Buddhist 0.01%, Christian 0.13%, ethnic population (Koch, Rajbanshi and Santal) 0.16%.
Agriculture 50.61%, agricultural labourer 26.05%, wage labourer 3.32%, commerce 7.97%, service 4.1% and others 7.95%.
The district of Lalmonirhat consists 3038 mosques, 512 temples, 43 Buddhist temples and 12 churches.
Places of interest
There are a number of tourist attractions and archaeological sites in Lalmonirhat. Some of them are
| || |
District (5) Nilphamari
Nilphamari is a district in Northern Bangladesh. It is a part of the Rangpur Division.
(Rangpur Division) with an area of 1640.91 km², is bounded by Kuchbihar district of West Bengal (India) on the north, Rangpur district on the south, Lalmonirhat district on the east and Panchagarh and Dinajpur districts on the west. Annual temperature: maximum 32.3°C, minimum 11.2°C; annual rainfall 2931mm. Main rivers are Teesta, Jamuneshwari, Chikli and Dhaigan.
Nilphamari Sadar Upazila Saidpur Upazila Jaldhaka Upazila
Kishoreganj Upazila Domar Upazila Dimla Upazila
The Nilphamari subdivision was established in 1875, Nilphamari was a subdivision of Rangpur District. It was turned into a district in 1984. The district consists of 6 upazilas, 3 municipalities, 33 wards, 65 mahallas, 62 union parishads, 390 mouzas and 370 villages. The upazilas are Nilphamari Sadar, Dimla, Domar, Jaldhaka, Kishoreganj and Saidpur.
Agriculture 45.28%, agricultural labourer 27.81%, wage labourer 3.42%, commerce 8.65%, service 6.07% and others 8.77%.
Paddy, jute, wheat, potato, tobacco, cotton and ginger.
The district of Nilphamari consists 3894 mosques, 533 temples, 45 churches and 13 Buddhist temples.
Places of interest
Nilsagor Kundopukur Saidpur Airport
Railway Factory Uttara EPZ (export processing zone)
Leprosy Hospital Teesta Barrage
Saiphon high school Syphon
District (6) Panchagarh
Panchagarh is a district of Rangpur division in the extreme northern part of Bangladesh with an area of 1404.63 square km, is bounded on three sides by 288 km long Indian border, having Darjeeling district on the north, Jalpaiguri and Kuchbihar districts on the northeast, west Dinajpur and Purnea district on the west, Dinajpur and Thakurgaon districts on the south, Nilphamari district on the east. Its soil is sandy, alluvial and bears close affinity with the soil of the old Himalayan basin. On the northern part of the district there exists underground layer of pebbles. It is 150 feet (46 m) high from the sea level. Panchagarh has 16 rivers. Among them some main rivers are Karatoya, Atrai, Tista, Nagor, Mahananda, Tangon, Dahuk, Pathraj, Bhulli, Talma, Chawai, Kurum, Versa, Tirnoi, and Chilka.
Panchagarh has five Upzila. There are
Panchagarh Sadar Debiganj Boda
Agriculture 51.33%, agricultural labourer 26.88%, wage labourer 3.5%, service 4.03%, others 7.87%.
Main crops Paddy, jute, wheat, potato, sugarcane.
The existence of fifteen garhs (fortifications) has hitherto been traced, of which the most noted are Bhitargarh, Hosaingarh, Mirgarh, Rajangarh and Devengarh. Panchagarh is named after these five garhs. Here Panch stands for five. (need to be edited)
The district of Panchagarh consists 1729 mosques, 812 temples, 45 Buddhist temples and five churches.
Places of interest
Archaeological heritage The existence of fifteen garhs (fortifications) has hitherto been traced of which the most noted are Bhitar Garh, Hosain Garh, Mir Garh, Rajan Garh and Deven Garh. Panchagarh is named after these five garhs. Archaeological relics include Nayani Burz (bastion), remains of Atwari zamindar-bari and that of katchari-bari of Raniganj Devottvar Estate and the temple therein, Mirzapur Shahi Mosque, Tomb of Bara Awliya, tomb of Arif Shah, Maharaja Dighi (pond) at Bhitargarh, Maidan Dighi, Mughali killah (fort) at Chandan-bari, Vadeswari temple and Boda temple.
District (7) Rangpur
Rangpur is a district in Northern Bangladesh. It is a part of the Rangpur Division.
Under the RANGPUR division (one of seven divisions) composed of eight districts of the northern Bangladesh, the District of Rangpur is bordered on the north by Nilphamari District, on the south by Gaibandha District, on the east by Kurigram, and on the west by Dinajpur district. Rangpur town is the divisional headquarter. The soil composition is mainly alluvial soil (80%) of the Teesta River basin, and the remaining is barind soil. The temperature ranges from 32 degrees Celsius to 11 degrees Celsius, and the annual rainfall averages 2931 mm.
Rangpur was conquered by the army of Raja Man Singh, a commander of the Mughal emperor, Akbar, in 1575, but it was only until 1686 that it was fully integrated into the Mughal Empire. Names of places like Mughalbasa (literal meaning being a locality of the Mughals), and Mughalhat (literal meaning a “local market” organized by the Mughals) bear testimony to the Mughal Association and past of Rangpur and its hinterland. Later on, Rangpur passed under the control of “Sarker” of Ghoraghat. During the period of the British East India Company, the Sannyasi Rebellion took place.
Total population of Rangpur is 2534365, male 50.92%, female 49.08%. Islam is the predominant religion in Rangpur. Hinduism is the second largest religion in Rangpur. Muslim 89.60%, Hindu 9.59%, Christian 0.50% and others 0.31%; ethnic nationals: Santal and Orao.
The district of Rangpur have 4924 mosques, 480 temples, 43 churches and six tombs.
The upazilas are
badarganj, gangachara, kaunia,
rangpur sadar, mithapukur, pirgachha,
pirganj and taraganj;
Agriculture 40.26%, agricultural labourer 28.01%, wage labourer 4.88%, commerce 10.12%, service 5.56%, transport 2.11% and others 9.06%.
Places of interest
Archaeological heritage and relics Tajhat Rajbari, Keramatia Mosque, Dimlaraj Kali Mandir, Sree Sree Karunamaye Kali Mandir, Rangpur Museum, Rangpur Town Hall, Rangpur Public Library, Pareshnath Mandir at Mahiganj, tomb of the noted Islamic thinker Maulana Keramat Ali Jainpuri, tomb of Shah Jalal Bokheri at Mahiganj, tomb of Ismail Ghazi at Kataduar, carmichael college Building, home stead of roquiah sakhawat hossain at Pairabandh, Zila Parishad Building, Takka Mosque at Latifpur (Mughal period, Mithapukur upazila), three domed Jami Mosque at Mithapukur (Mughal period), four domed Taraganj Mosque, nine domed Radhanagar (Badarganj upazila) Mosque (Mughal period), tomb of Kutub Shah at Kutubpur, Vhim Garh at Manshinghpur (Badarganj upazila), Zamindar Bari at Roypur (Pirganj upazila), remnants of the palace of Raja Nilambar at Patgram (Pirganj upazila), Hari Mandir at Chandan Hat (Gangachara upazila) and Mitha Pukur (excavated during the Mughal period).
District (8) Thakurgaon
Thakurgaon is a district in the north-western side of Bangladesh. It is a part of the Rangpur Division and borders India to the west.
The upazilas in this district are:
- Thakurgaon Sadar Upazila
- Pirganj Upazila
- Baliadangi Upazila
- Haripur Upazila
- Ranisankail Upazila
Thakurgaon is in the northeast corner of Bangladesh, it is about 467 km from Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. It is surrounded by Dinajpur district on its south, Panchagarh district to the east and India on its west and north sides, it is a part of the Himalayan plain land.
During British rule Thakurgaon was a tehsil (a district subdivision). In 1947 at the time of the Partition of India, Thakurgaon Subdivision became part of East Pakistan and became part of the newly established Dinajpur District of East Bengal. In 1984 Takurgaon subdivision was split off Dinajpur and became a separate district (i.e. Thakurgaon District).
In Bangladesh as a whole agriculture is the basis of the economy, and Thakurgaon has been striving for a long time to be economically productive, agriculture forming a major part of the districts economy. Thakurgaon produces many agricultural products, such as rice, wheat, sugarcane, seasonal vegetables and fruits etc. The sugarcane plantation - TSM (Thakurgaon Sugar Mill)--is part of the BSFIC. These become the main livelihood of the native. Poultry firms are quite productive business in Thakurgaon, there are several coldstores in the district. Different businesses for producing and repairing agricultural tools have grown up.
The district of Thakurgaon consists 1458 mosques, 1026 temples, 12 churches and 3 tombs.
Places of interest
There are various places of interest in the district, these include:
- The river of Tangon
- Senua Bridge
- Sugar Mill
- Old Air Port, destroyed during the second world war, situated at Modergonj beside of Arazipaickpara
- Jomidar Mosjid at Shibganj
Ancient Mango Tree, it is the largest Mango tree is Bangladesh.
The Fair of Nekmordon
Ramrai Dighi, it is a pond having 50 acres (200,000 m2) of area. A beautiful tourist spot.
King's Palace The river of Kulic KhuniaDhighi Memorial
Palace of King Tonko Nath Gorkoi Heritage Pirgonj
Ancient Hindu Temples.